Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow day?

Having been in the environs of DC (NoVA to be specific), for about six months, I will say that I have much to learn about the area and the District. But the one thing that is bothering me now is this area's reaction to snow and supposedly inclement weather. A little snow, a little freezing rain, and I got an "early dismissal" yesterday and a "snow day" today from work (not high school, but work). You've got to be kidding me! (Though I don't mind it... :))

I'm originally from Southwestern Ohio and lived in Pittsburgh for a while. When we got snow (and by getting snow, I mean more than a dusting), it was a few inches and we would still go about our business. There was the salt and plow trucks that we all are used to seeing, but people knew what to do when driving. You would be a little more careful, go only a bit slower, stay in the tracks of the car in front of you. It would definitely take up to 5-6 inches and a delayed clearing of the snow that could bring a 2-hour delay or close schools and businesses.

However... here in DC... Apparently the rules are a bit different. Let's start with the driving. I will acknowledge that rush hour traffic where I lived is no comparison to DC Beltway traffic. But the commuters of this area take caution to an unsafe level. Yesterday, a lot of people were let out of work early due to "deteriating" conditions. Yes, there was rain, and yes, I could tell that it was in the process of attempting to freeze. There was no snow, but you could tell there was a bit of slush on the highway. However, there is no reason to slow down to 40 mph or even less without any traffic in front of you. There is no reason to swish back in forth in your lane when you just need to get into the tracks of the car in front of you. It's amazing. Following the leader on the highway. A novel concept.

I will say that drivers generally in Ohio get better and better driving in bad conditions. But, when it was barely bad at all, DC has this. Hmm. I guess there is a lot of room for improvement. Or maybe not. :)

Oh well, back to enjoying the "snow day!"

No comments: